Sunday, January 17, 2010

Change in Room Location

There is a certain heaviness or pressure that has to do with convalescing. It affects the patient and almost everyone around them. I feel it as a lack of enthusiasm, a beaten down state after fighting a battle for a war you aren't sure you won.

When Melissa and I moved into our temporary suites in Dallas, we didn't really recognize our surroundings. We were trying to save money, be frugal, and frankly, from the perspective of four healthy eyes and two unwounded people, our rooms were just fine 'cause we were all we needed. However, now that I have been released it is different.

There's that heaviness I mentioned before, add a convalescent who can't lift a hand to help, add a supporting wife who has suffered her own wounds in being there for me, and I saw our surroundings with completely different eyes. The stovetop didn't work, there was a funky smell, the room was all one piece (in fact, the front door was at the foot of the bed). As Melissa moved around the little crappy suite and as I watched her make due with just one more minor insufficiency, I lost my cool, got on the phone, and made reservations at an extended stay facility that is run by the Hilton.

I will grant you the room is more expensive, but the Suite has a separate bathroom, bedroom, living room, and full kitchen. It smells wonderful. They serve breakfast every morning and dinner every evening. I calculated the expense in food out of the price of the room and we are spending about 11 percent more staying here.

And the internet works at full broadband speeds. They even have staff to help Melissa unload the car and put stuff in our room.

The pall of recuperation has been lifted, the healing has begun, and best of all, I put a smile back on my wife's face... And THAT is priceless.

G'night for now from sleepytown. Everyone be safe and know that you all are in our thoughts.

K
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that things are looking up. Thanks for the updates. You remain in our prayers.
    Love, Aunt Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations on the new room! it will make both of your recuperations far easier. i'm glad you're doing well. can't wait for you guys to get home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kurt, I'm so glad to hear about your suite upgrade! I'm sure it's worth every penny!! Hang in there and know you are in our prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone. I owe some apologies to people I made stay in that extended stay facility with us, so to my mom and to Melissa's dad, I heartily apologize for making you stay in such deplorable conditions.

    ReplyDelete