Saturday, February 27, 2010

Post-Surgery Checkup a Success!

Other than the drive down and the drive back, the visit to Dallas resulted in a successful return to normal life (as far as the return to work and return to martial arts is concerned).  I saw the surgeon on Monday at 1 pm, he looked me over, listened to my list of complaints, brushed them off as minor and things that would go away over time and he said I looked great.  That it was time to go back to my life and forget this ever happened. 

So, to celebrate, I did just that.  Well, I didn't forget so much as I suppressed.  That's healthy, right?

Seriously, though, I got my release to go back to martial arts with the limitation of no physical contact to my head or face and no contact to any other part of my body other than light contact with full protection on.  So moderate and full contact is out until I see him again in 6 months.  In 6 months they will do a CT scan to see how the bones in my head are healing together.  He probably will not release me to spar for quite some time, but at least he hasn't said that I will never be able to do it again.  He seems fairly confident that I should enjoy a full recovery.

I also garnered my release to drive and go back to work.  I will be returning to work on Monday, March 1st.  I will be happy to get back.

That's it for now.  Nothing more exciting than a few comments, a signed release, and a joyful return to the land of the living.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure the boys at Onsite will love to have you back! :)

    Glad to hear you're released. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm glad you are going back to work tomorrow! I know you are looking forward to it. I'm also happy to hear that you will probably be okayed for full contact in 6 months or so for your martial arts. I seriously doubt, however, that you will forget this whole incident ever happened. I bet you wish you could, though.

    I'm doing a little bit better with pain. I went to Walmart yesterday and over-did it quite a bit and I'm suffering for that today. I guess I will need to learn my new limits with my new spinal cord stimulator. For some reason it's not turning me into superwoman, but at least I'm able to do some walking and standing now; I just need to figure out how much.

    Have fun and good luck at your return to work this week and don't overdo it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a great report! I hope your return to work and (modified)martial arts has brought you happiness and some sense of normalcy!

    And, by the way... I've found that suppressing isn't a bad thing (sure it's healthy... at least when you've been dealt a difficult hand, right???). As much as our situations are different, they are in many ways alike. I wish I could forget about Lauren's disease, just as I'm sure you wish you could forget all that you've been through. However, that's impossible for both of us because it's all part of who we are now. Constantly reliving the bad parts, the emotional parts, will only add stress and sadness. So, yes, suppress away and try to enjoy making happy new memories. We both can always privately open our difficult doors from time to time... just be ready to lock it tight and rejoin the land of the living, filled with happiness and strength! Ever read the Soul Bird? If not, you should...

    Glad you're back and wishing you much joy!

    Tanya-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kurt, how is it going with work? Are you full-time yet or just working part-time? I bet you were glad to be back. How are you feeling? Still having headaches?

    I have to go for another back surgery tentatively on Wednesday, 3/10. The first spinal cord stimulator they put in had 2 leads in my spine and one of them slipped out of place so now they are going to take the leads out and put in a "paddle" which has more leads in it and won't move around. Oh boy, more pain in my future. :(

    Let me know how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment. We're really glad this content was useful and hope you will check back with us to read future articles!
    hormone replacement therapy

    ReplyDelete