Thursday, December 31, 2009

To my wife

I have just reviewed my first poll and the sad conclusion is: The World does NOT revolve around Kurt. Only 2 voters thought so, and I have to admit... I was at least one of them. (There is no proof at this point that I was both)

I thought I would take a moment and document what my wife, Melissa, is doing through all this. She has gone with me to my appointments (almost all of them), been unfailingly positive when I needed her to be, wittily clever in discussions, sarcastic and derisive when that was called for, and generally the most supportive partner a person can have. So... 4,500,227 points! That's right, that would be MILLION! I'm going to be forever catching up but here is a start: bellicose, germaine, blandishment, urbane, and incontrovertible.

(For those of you that don't know, my wife and I play a game where we award each other points. Generally, 1-4 points are awarded at a time and for the most part they are awarded for using infrequently used words in random conversation. Points have been awarded for other things, but conversational literacy is where it started. Points may not be awarded if the witty rejoinder was planned or forces. In fact, points have been known to be removed. I believe I was ahead until just a few seconds ago.)

I worry that Melissa won't have the support she needs during all this hospital, surgery, recovery stuff. But my mom, her dad, my dad, and other assorted family members will be down in Dallas during that time. So now I'm worried that she'll have TOO much support.

So, to my wonderful wife. Thank you. It's not enough and never will be. But you 'da bom baybee.

3 comments:

  1. I knew all along that I DESERVED 4 million points because I'm just that smart. : )

    Love you baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course she gets the most points. That is a no brainer (pun intended). Don't forget she has those of us in KC that will support from a far any time she needs it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kurt!

    Your blog came up on a google alert I have for FD. I am very interested to know more of your story and look forward to reading deeper into your blog. You see, my 9 year old daughter has MAS/FD. Obviously I am buried up to my eyeballs in researching pediatric care for her, but also try to look ahead from time to time, to gain information about surgical procedures that might be needed for her in the future. I've recently secured a cranial team for my little girl in a neighboring state, but always want to keep our options open. So, I'll be sure to check back with your blog to see your outcome.

    Please know that our family will be keeping you close in our prayers and I so hope that all will go well. You are so blessed to have such a loving and supportive wife and family, and I'll pray for their continued strength as well!

    Thanks for sharing such a personal part of your life through your blog. As MAS/FD is so rare, it's nice having others to connect with that truly understand the difficulties and fears... but also the victories and joys! God bless-

    Warm regards,

    Tanya (mom to Lauren, MAS/FD)

    ReplyDelete